Deep Space Knit

Yarn arts (knit and crochet) balled up with a heady dose of geekdom. Raise your pan-galactic-gargle-blaster and cheer!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vermont, United States

Friday, February 22, 2008

More hats.




There comes a time in every knitters life when she has to seriously sit down and think about her choices.  To evaluate the yarn which she has spun and worked into beautiful things and ask herself why?

Why the hell am I surrounded with more hats than I can ever wear?

I mean I *do* look good in them, and I *do* try to give them away, but cleaning my piles of clothes this evening has uncovered 18 knit hats in one small vicinity, with two more fresh off the needles.

Maybe I should sell hats?

Anyways, here is my go at the death hat, mark 2.  I love me some Fair Isle and I like the Binary Cable Pattern, so here is Death: Sweet Black Cherry Flavor using Black encore and the Cascade 220 from the death hat.

This is me, looking diabolical and plotting death:


I adore the way this turned out.  I am now in a mission to make one (probably slightly bigger) for Ruben in green and black; just like an old fashioned computer screen - then we'll see if he can read the binary.

Experimental Clara.



This pattern was given to me by Judith, a lovely knitter who makes the most wonderful things - none of them from a pattern. Yet every once in awhile a pattern piques her curiosity and she tries to make it.  When she gets frustrated with pattern reading she gives the pattern to someone else who will make it and then tell her how it works.

Somehow she was coming up with the wrong number of stitches per round, which I can't quite figure out why because my stitches per round were perfectly fine.  Maybe because some people read patterns differently?  The directions aren't wrong, per say, but they aren't the clearest directions out there.

Anyways it turned out pretty nicely - nicer than I thought it would when I started it.  But it's Lopi and it's slightly rough and slightly small.  It fits my head - but how many hats do I really need?

Wait a second...

Judith has a small head.  She doesn't mind rough wools.  This whole thing was her idea in the first place...

Experimental Clara is now her hat.



As a sidenote; I know alot of people don't like Lopi because it's scratchy, but it is warm.  disturbingly so!  I was knitting it and I wanted to see how the stitch pattern swirled so I put my left hand in the hat to hold it up and held it in front of my face.  After about ten seconds I realized my left hand was getting noticably warmer while my right hand was cold.

Remind me to make mittens out of Lite Lopi and knit a nice soft lining for them out of something yummy... because shit is this stuff warm!

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I just found your blog via Ravelry. I'm not much of a commenter, but I'm in a silly mood tonight so . . .

Now, this is going to sound pretty nuts, but I had to comment on "More hats" (albeit late) because the day after you wrote this I was hit by what I thought was a great idea. After wearing my hair very short for 20+ years I'm toying with the idea of finally growing it out.

I'm thinking I should knit up as many hats as I can possibly manage so that I can wear a different hat every day for as long as it takes to get my hair past that horribly ugly and awkward stage. In doing so I think I should make hat wearing part of my new persona -- at least temporarily. Maybe change my screen name to Rad Hatter, never without a hat, never the same hat twice.

There's definitely plenty of great hat patterns out there, so thanks for (inadvertently) helping confirm my vision.

Now returning you to the world of the sane --

Happy knitting!

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home