Deep Space Knit

Yarn arts (knit and crochet) balled up with a heady dose of geekdom. Raise your pan-galactic-gargle-blaster and cheer!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vermont, United States

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Hats, Kerchiefs, and Vests, oh my!

Hats.
Ahahah!  I finished a hat.  I would celebrate, but by now the hats are threatening to take over my apartment and eat me.

That's ok.  I get to send this hat off to a dear friend in Vegas who had a nasty infection, which would have been fine but her healthcare provider knackered something up, and it got worse.  I think a nice warm fuzzy hat would be fitting at a time like this.



And hoo, boy is this hat fuzzy.  It's a destash hat, made with something I got from Jo Ann Fabrics (Dolcetto I think it's called...) and SmarieK Knit's "Swirl Hat" pattern.  It's a really neat little pattern, and I added the extra 16 stitches to make it large.  I am happy to say that it didn't turn out too large and it should fit her nicely.  

The kerchief.

See.  Obnoxiously Purple.  Obnoxiously Bright.  


I like it.



(and yeah, I have this 'I look like I just work up' look on my face, here.  It's because I *did* just wake up in that photo.  It was over the weekend, after the revelry.  because the after the revelry photos looked; well, even dumber.  >.<  What can I say?  I look kinda dumb at time :D ) Vests.

So, having finished my queue of projects (wow, I feel so... British... when I use that word.) I found myself in a quandry of what to knit next.  I try to limit myself to one project on the needles at a time.  I still have the Baby Sweater on my roster, but it's no longer on the needles.  It is patiently waiting for me to find the right notions so it can snap closed and not be snaps that Baby might eat off of the fabric, so it's pretty much done, and just waiting for me to get off my lazy butt and *fix* it.  So I got to cast on a new project (yayy!)

I decided to go for the Stonewalls vest from Cheryle Oberle's "Folk Vests" book.  And the yarn I had in mind was the mystery green wool from the ginormous cone.  Knitting this vest I am starting to wonder how much wool was on that cone.  Now it came in 2 ply, fingeringweight strands, and I had it wound up into center pull balls so I could hold two strands together to approximate the yarn needed for the vest.  I thought the yarn needed was DK weight, but when I swatched I found it was more like worsted or aran.. so three plys it is!

At first I was horrified, terrified of running out of yarn.  

I am now halfway done, and I have used only three balls... I have this many left.

Which now leaves me with the question: what else will I knit with this stuff?

Anyways, here was the vest Sunday evening:



And here was the vest Tuesday morning after I found out I had a snow day on Monday and spent the vast majority of my snowed in day knitting and watching Doctor Who:



Man, I *love* days off of work!!

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Logan said...

I love that kerchief thing.

I don't even know what a kerchief is...but the obnoxious purple is awesome.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Kath said...

I like the obnoxiously purple obnoxiously bright kerchief. But I'd want a whole sweater that looked like that!

The hat is nice and I was looking at some of SmarieK's other patterns, there's a few nice ones.

And are you keeping a close watch on that mystery green wool to make sure it's not like multiplying or something when you're not looking?

5:02 PM  
Blogger Elysbeth said...

Love the kerchief.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home