Deep Space Knit

Yarn arts (knit and crochet) balled up with a heady dose of geekdom. Raise your pan-galactic-gargle-blaster and cheer!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vermont, United States

Monday, March 24, 2008

Hats, hats and more hats.

I have a backlog of hats to blog about.  That's partially because I have not been blogging as much as I should and mostly because I have this hat knitting obsession that I should really address at some point.

So, without further ado, I present to you...

(cue theme music)

Hats!

We'll start with the Nomad Hat and Scarf (which I call a harf, because: A. it sounds funny, and B. gets people asking 'did you mean 'harf or were you hocking up a hairball?)

Well, I love the idea of a hatscarf, and let me tell you, man is this sucker warm!  Though I don't think that many respectable nomads would choose the colors I chose.



Yup.  Lime green and bright pink.  I used to have a nailpolish that exact color of pink and my mother wouldn't let me wear it to middle school because she called it 'prostitute pink.'  I remember my Aunt buying both the prostitute pink and a prostitute purple from Avon because the color they had printed in the book was far more muted.  

Anyways, I chose the colors, not because I have an obsession with wickedly bright colors.  (ok, wait, I do have an obsession with wickedly bright colors.  I'll admit this.)  (But I'll deny it later ;-) )  But because I was at a yarn swap with some older ladies and one brought out these two skeins of lime Lamb's Pride Bulky with the statement, "I don't know who would ever want these..." and while most everyone else sighed and shook their heads, my eyes lit up like bubble lights on a Christmas tree (effervescence and all!).  Well, I got the two skeins, plus the skein that 'went with them' - the pink.  Funny thing was, the more I looked at the skeins all together, the more I decided that they really did go together.  And so the Watermelon Harf was born.  I have to make another one of these in far more muted colors for my aunt who always complains that her ears are cold during the blustery Wisconsin winters.

And as an added bonus, my swinging the tails of the scarf behind your back, you can pretend you're a superhero with a scarfy cape.  Ok, maybe you won't but I will.  :D


(heere she comes to save the daaay....!)



I also had leftover yarn, so I knit up a pink radioactive pirates hat.  I finally figured out that I have made enough of these for now.  I printed off the pattern and didn't use it once until I had to check which row the decreases started.  When you memorize a fair isle pattern, it's time to find a new one.  Anyways, this one is stranded not woven as an experiment and needs a block, but is otherwise a dandy hat.  Yay.  I said dandy.



And I finally jumped on the bandwagon (shown by my somewhat manic expression in this picture.  ether that or the caffeine just kicked in...) and knit up an 'Unoriginal Hat' from the YarnHarlot.  I need to knit a big hat and send it to Kim since the others didn't fit her comfortably,  This one is pretty big.  I'm also going to knit up a Foliage hat in the biggest size I can to see if I can get one that's comfortable for her.

Now I'm on to a sweater, so no more hats for a bit.  (who am I kidding.  I can sneak some hats in my queue, right?)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kath said...

The Unoriginal looks good, sorry it didn't turn out big enough for your friend but I'm sure you'll find a home for it! I've got that one on my list and an interesting chunky weight yarn I picked up at Stitches West that's planned for it.

For the Foliage - are you planning to do the worsted or chunky yarn version? Just wondering 'cause that one's on my list too!

Yeah, sure you're not knitting hats for a while. And monkeys might fly out of my.....never mind.

8:30 PM  
Blogger JamieL said...

Heyyy! I can hold off knitting hats for... um... a day or so!

It's not like I'm addicted. Or maybe I am.

Anyways, I'llprobably update Foliage soon since I want to get it in the mail. I might add another pattern repeat, either that or work it on a larger needle size. Either way my plan is to make the bulky version. I'll post to ravelry how it works out :)

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home