Deep Space Knit

Yarn arts (knit and crochet) balled up with a heady dose of geekdom. Raise your pan-galactic-gargle-blaster and cheer!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vermont, United States

Monday, June 30, 2008

Sometimes You Knit...

Sometimes you knit to remember.

Sometimes you knit to forget.

I don't have any jokes for today's blog.  No witticisims or sarcasm.  No pictures even.

My mother fell off a roof today.  We were very lucky because she slid and landed on her hip rather than falling on her chest or head.  So she broke her pelvis, but hopefully no other injuries.  

It all seems so stupid.  The ladder slipped.  You wonder 'could I have done something different?'  I stepped into the house for a minute or so, trying to get something out of the over before going back outside, and I heard the ladder collapse and her scream.

I don't know.  I don't like to wallow in guilt.  So I spent two hours in the emergency, knitting while I waited to hear about CAT scans and X Rays.  

It will be a long heal.  Two months.  I wish it were me instead of her.  I really do.  I'm much younger and I mend better.  But if all goes well, there won't be any major complications.  She can come home in a day or so.

Knitting is funny.  Stitch after stitch, a way to channel the enegry that could be used for pacing, screaming, shouting, hitting.  Stitch by stitch by stitch.  The same movement over and over and over again.

I think I might give the sweater I make to her.  We are the same size, it'll fit.

A sweater to remember the love, knitting to forget the pain.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kath said...

Ohh Jamie...this may not help but believe me, everyone always starts off thinking that they could have done something differently, and somehow changed the outcome. And the truth is - you can't.

A few years ago my mother was ill and I went over to the mainland and spent the weekend with her. I was worried, but she resisted going to the doctor, so I finally went home. Just days later she called me at work from her cell as the paramedics were loading her into an ambulance and I set a new speed record traveling from my office on the island to a hospital on the mainland. You can imagine how many times on that trip I wished I had insisted that she see a doctor!

Time will heal - both your mother's body and your heart. You're on the right track - just keep on knitting.

p.s. I've survived a fractured pelvis - it wasn't fun, but it wasn't the worst either.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Sea Anemone said...

How scary that must have been. :( I'll keep you and your Mom in my thoughts.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Phro5gg said...

I will keep your Mother in my thoughts and prayers. Concentrate on what you are doing now and don't beat yourself up over the "what could I have done". I know its hard when you are the one taking care of the person who always took care of you. If you need anything, let me know.

9:20 AM  
Blogger @ColoradoMom said...

I hope she feels better!!!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Jamie,

Sorry to hear about your mom...geez it has been a week of falls!

Keeping you all in my thougths...

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to read about your mom's fall! Wow, that must have been scary as heck for both her and you! Prayers all around. As one of your commenters said, don't beat yourself up too much, okay?

And, I think the sweater idea is great, too, both in creating it (expending your energies in a productive way) as well as giving it to your mom. I'm certain she'll be thrilled, especially come winter. :0)

Once again, I'm praying for your mom's complete recovery and for yours, too. Knit away!

Rene' (reinbeauchaser on FF)

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home